Sunday, June 26, 2011

Photo

The food has been simply amazing. I love food. I spend most of my money on food. I regret nothing!

Best Meal: Oh my god, impossible to answer. I had a couple excellent meals at Bingo in Koh Tao. Just had some spectacular street food off of Lebuh Chulia here in Georgetown tonight. I can’t remember the name, but this one guesthouse in Khao Sok had stellar curry, as well as chocolate pancakes (Francis and I are obsessed with chocolate pancakes.)

Worst Meal: Hahahaha… We tried a dim sum/hot pot place in MBK mall in Bangkok, had no idea how to order or work the thing, the employees just stood there and offered NO assistance or guidance… It was a mess. And didn’t taste very good. The fact that I don’t like seafood didn’t help.

Weirdest Meal: Chicken feet. Just…bizarre.

Really though, I’ve enjoyed pretty much all Thai food I’ve had. Curry? Chilis? Yes, please!! I’m a little more hesitant with the Chinese and Malay food, but I’m always up for Indian. I would eat samosas for every meal if I could.

But I think I’m getting a little tired of fried everything. I just want a light meal or a fresh salad hahaha. But the fruit stalls are always an excellent backup. Pineapple, wawa (How is this actually spelled?? It’s green, mango-sized, and sort of has the taste and texture of an apple or pear), dragonfruit, mango, starfruit (I got some fresh starfruit juice today—in a bag!!—and it was amazing)… Love it all. I have yet to try durian, but it will happen.

Also, I’m obsessed with the taro bread and cream custard filled bread you can get at the ubiquitous 7-Elevens here. (When I say ubiquitous, I mean you can find one every 100 feet. McDonalds and Starbucks have NOTHING on 7-Eleven here.)

…I shouldn’t make myself hungry like this at 2AM.



Malacca River by T|ng~ on Flickr.

While I was writing all that and waiting for my iPod and camera battery to charge (no outlet in the room, so I can’t let it charge while I sleep), one of the night employees, Raf, started chatting with me.

He’s 45 and originally from India, and has been working here for 10 years. He does this at night, and other business during the day, sleeping from 9-3. He also does cobra massage and palm reading. He offered me a free reading, which ended up being pretty interesting.

Apparently I’m going to have an average lifespan, neither short nor long. According to the single line at my wrist, I’m independent. My loveline is short, so love is not a primary concern for me. My goals and prospects are elsewhere. There’s a lot signifying wealth. The intersection of my business and money lines is strong and apparently I would be successful and prosperous in starting my own business. He was especially taken with a mole on my left hand, and also one under my left eye, both signifying money coming in to me. My health problems are in my neck—he spent a lot of time explaining how I can fix this (1. Exercise, 2. Yoga, 3. Conversation (to release pressure from thinking too much?), 4. Sleeping in the right position, 5. Massage … Bonus: Go to the cinema, hahahaha)

What else… The gaps between my fingers say that I am generous. I’ll have only one child. I’ll be “rich in heart.”

He kept complimenting my laugh and trying to get me to do it again (not hard because I laugh at anything and everything) which was pretty hilarious in itself. He offered a massage to help my neck if I’m ever around here again, since I’m leaving tomorrow. I would totally do it! Overall, a fun, random middle-of-the-night conversation haha.





Where I want to be today:

Pulau Payar Marine Park, Kedah, Malaysia

via: http://www.flickr.com/photos/malaysiatravel





Rumah Melayu Sarawak. Kabong. Sarawak. Malaysia. January 2010.

{The malay house taken last year at my grandmother’s village. Keep our vernacular architecture as our identity.}













0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Themes by ASRock Jok Tekamok - Privacy Policy - Sitemap